New starts, successful finishes
The 2022 marked the beginning of the hybrid era in WRC and the debut season of our i20 N Rally1 Hybrid. Across 13 demanding events our new challenger powered us to five victories – our most in a single season – in addition to 16 podiums and 79 stage wins.
Now operating under the FIA banner, ETCR entered its second year, as did we with our Veloster N ETCR. We battled hard against the competition throughout the six-event season and once again claimed second in the manufacturers’ championship.
Our customers continued to have success across the globe in 2022, securing championships in both rally and racing series. The most notable was in FIA WTCR, as the Elantra N TCR carried our customers to a double-title winning season.
- Five victories in WRC, our greatest single year tally in the series
- Second most manufacturers’ points total in a WRC season
- TCR customers secured seven titles, 61 wins, 192 podiums and 55 pole positions in 2022
- i20 R5 and i20 N Rally2 customers claimed eight titles, 89 wins, 229 podiums and more than 750 stage wins
Battling for glory
Following two consecutive WRC titles, the target in 2021 was to have a strong send-off with our i20 Coupe WRC in the last year of the 2017 regulations. Over twelve challenging events, our team recorded our best points-scoring season ever in the series, and claimed three victories, 17 podiums and 111 stage wins.
Our company made its electric racing debut in the inaugural PURE ETCR season with the Veloster N ETCR. In a closely-fought battle, we narrowly missed out on the drivers’ crown by a single point.
There were new editions to our fleet in 2021, as the Elantra N TCR and i20 N Rally2 joined our already established challengers: the i30 N TCR, Veloster N TCR and i20 R5.
Hyundai Motorsport customers continued to demonstrate their competitiveness across both rallying and racing, taking numerous titles, wins and podiums all over the world.
- Greatest points-scoring season in WRC in our history
- Three victories at Arctic Rally Finland, Ypres Rally Belgium and Rally de España
- TCR customers claimed 10 titles, 61 wins, 183 podiums and 55 pole positions in 2021
- i20 R5 and i20 N Rally2 customers secured 4 titles, 73 wins, over 150 podiums and more than 500 stage wins
There was one vital goal for our team in 2020: to one again bring home the WRC title. Despite a disrupted season, we successfully completed our mission. With three wins, 11 podiums and 54 stage wins, our company triumphed in the manufacturers’ championship for the second consecutive year.
Our customers were also affected as a result of the global pandemic, with many series forced to cancel or condense their seasons.
Nevertheless, the i20 R5, i30 N TCR and Veloster N TCR continued to demonstrate their competitiveness around the world.
- Second consecutive WRC manufacturers’ title
- Three victories in Monte-Carlo, Estonia and Sardinia
- TCR customers claimed 12 titles, 67 wins, 148 podiums and 68 pole positions in 2020
- i20 R5 customers secured 3 titles, 37 wins, 105 podiums and 292 stage wins
On top of the world
A momentous year for our company was capped with an inaugural WRC manufacturers’ title, following four victories and a season full of highlights.
There was also plenty of success for our customers around the world. Norbert Michelisz powered the i30 N TCR to its second consecutive FIA WTCR championship, while the i20 R5, i30 N TCR and Veloster N TCR racked up more wins and titles in 2019.
- First-ever manufacturers’ championship title in WRC
- Four victories – Corsica, Argentina, Sardinia and Spain
- Norbert Michelisz triumphed in FIA WTCR with the i30 N TCR
- Strong performance for TCR customers with 15 titles, 70 wins, and 171 podiums in 2019
- i20 R5 customers enjoyed success on the stages with 3 titles, 59 wins, 134 podiums and 566 stage wins
Gabriele Tarquini took our i30 N TCR to the top of the inaugural WTCR standings in 2018, while our customers also triumphed in the team’s championship.
In WRC, three more victories ensured we were in close contention for glory right up to the season finale.
- Inaugural FIA WTCR championship for i30 N TCR customers
- Drivers’ and manufacturers’ titles in WRC went down to the wire in Australia
- Three victories in Sweden, Portugal and Sardinia
2017 was a season of mixed feelings for our team as we finished vice-champions in WRC for the second consecutive season.
Meanwhile, our Customer Racing activities intensified with competitive debut of the i30 N TCR racer.
- New era for WRC; four victories with the i20 Coupe WRC
- Closely fought second in both championships
- i30 N TCR took victory on its competitive debut in China
Closing the gap
We enjoyed a return to winning ways in WRC in 2016, while also expanding our rally efforts into the R5 category.
Our New Generation i20 WRC proved to be a genuine contender with our crews fighting for victories and podiums regularly throughout the season.
- WRC victories in Argentina and Sardinia.
- 12 podiums, 47 stage wins and second in the championship
- i20 R5 makes its debut at Tour de Corse
Building on our debut season, we sought consistency and refinement in our second WRC season. We added to our podium and stage win tally throughout the year.
We also established a brand new Customer Racing department, announcing a new i20 R5 project at our December team launch.
- Development of New Generation i20 WRC in parallel to WRC
- Podiums in Sweden, Sardinia and Spain
- Customer Racing department officially established
A winning start
Our debut season in WRC was one filled with milestones and memories. From a tough opening round at Monte-Carlo, our first successes were just around the corner.
A podium in Mexico and an incredible 1-2 on home soil in Germany were the highlights.
- Debut at Rallye Monte-Carlo
- First podium in Mexico with Thierry and Nicolas
- First win with 1-2 at Rallye Deutschland
From a blank sheet of paper, our young team embarked on an ambitious programme during 2013.
As well as establishing our brand new facility and building a team of dedicated professionals we also saw the development of our new i20 WRC.
- Establishing a brand new company
- Building a team of dedicated professionals
- Newly developed i20 WRC completed 8,000km in testing